About Me

My photo
Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines
A fourth year student in De La Salle University - Manila taking BS in Information and Communications Technology Management. Believes in the improvements ICT could bring in the everyday lives of people at work and home. A member of the La Salle Dance Company - Street, the hip-hop dance group of DLSU under the Cultural Arts Office.

E-mail: efren.paperstainer@gmail.com

Monday, January 26, 2009

[PERSEF3 Blog#3] When I Felt Most Resilient

Think of a situation when you felt most resilient. What events are most stressful? How did you react? What helped you feel more hopeful about the future? What have you learned about yourself?

It was the month of November 2008 and LSDC-Street was preparing for our upcoming competition at Skechers Streetdance Battle Year 4 at the Araneta Coliseum, when on the 5th of November while attending a gymnastics session at the Rizal Sports Center, I had an injury. A wrong move made me land on the top side of my feet and I heard a *pop!* kind of sound.

It was the ligaments of my left ankle being torn apart!

It was my first major injury. Other injuries were painful and soon went away but this was different. It cost me to have a weak ankle for the rest of my life only to be prevented from getting injured again by strengthening it through proper exercise.



The doctor gave me a cast and I was forced to walk with crutches. He said that I should keep it on for three weeks but the competition would be on the 23rd.

"What do I have to do?!"
"I
wouldn't make it!"

My dance-mates were getting worried and were thinking if they should still wait f
or me or drop me off the competing team. After a week of walking on crutches I asked the doctor to remove my cast. He refused and suggested not to take it off. But I wanted to compete so bad that he made me sign a piece of paper saying that he would not hold any responsibility over anything that would happen to me. It was a mixed feeling of joy and worry. I was happy that the cast was off. But when I was to use my left foot I thought that it was too weak to use. It made me think twice if my decision was right or if I was being suicidal. I could have kept the cast on, not compete, and have more time for my group thesis proposal.

But my faith in my GOD was solid.

I knew he would help me through. I kept praying and it was as if my injury was just a way for me to get closer to Him. After the 2nd week since the incident I was able to dance like normal and do my old stunts only with a little hint of fear--traumatized from being injured again.

But it all paid off...


La Salle Dance Company - Street represented the Lasallian community as champions in the competition with over 100 national schools who joined in and competed. Because of that and our faith in God we have gained a lot:
  1. We had, "The champions of the Skechers Streetdance Battle 4", announced as introduction before all our performances and guesting.
  2. Guesting opportunities such as performing at SOP and Mel & Joey.
  3. Being featured soon at Proudly Lasallian.
  4. Having Danz Dish 4 be shown two times to be able to accommodate as much people as we can for our thanksgiving.
"Who knows what would have happened if I gave up and did not attempt to adapt to my injury. Would we still have won?"
(Not that I was THAT important).

I just want to think of the possibilities. My resilience guided me through and it had its rewards. I learned that I am able to adjust through unwanted incidents but must still not take what I have, such as my health and safety, for granted and should be more careful next time.

Deadline: January 26, 2009 MON 6PM

No comments: