About Me

My photo
Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines
A fourth year student in De La Salle University - Manila taking BS in Information and Communications Technology Management. Believes in the improvements ICT could bring in the everyday lives of people at work and home. A member of the La Salle Dance Company - Street, the hip-hop dance group of DLSU under the Cultural Arts Office.

E-mail: efren.paperstainer@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My New Desktop's Look

I've had a hard time recently keeping my desktop clean and I thought that the best way to keep it clean, along with not having to choose limited amount of icons to show on 'Quick Launch', is to install one of those softwares I've seen others use which holds icons quite similar to that of a Mac. At first I stumbled upon ObjectDock but my friends said that RocketDock was better and looked more neat. So I visited http://rocketdock.com/ and downloaded the installer. 

I removed all my icons and added all the icons I needed on RocketDock. I changed all the icons to ones that have higher resolution and looked better. So I downloaded a LOT of icons with the help of the two links below.
600+ Free Design, Twitter and Social Media Icons: A Collection Motherload!
40+ Stylish and Trendy Icon Sets

Some of the icons were in PNG format only so if you couldn't use it without having the ICO format you could download 'AveIconifier2' which converts ICO to PNG and vice versa just by dragging. You could convert multiple files at the same time too. Its just so easy.

IPB Image

After installing RocketDock, I added the items that I needed which were:
  • My Computer
  • PaperStainer
  • My Documents
  • My Music
  • My Pictures
  • DLSU
  • TweetDeck
  • Google Chrome
  • Yahoo! Messenger
  • Adobe Photoshop
  • Adobe Illustrator
  • Adobe Dreamweaver
  • iTunes
  • Microsoft Word
  • Microsoft Powerpoint
  • Evernote
  • Counter Strike: Source
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Windows Mobile Center
  • Control Panel; and
  • Recycle Bin
I then changed the icon settings and chose better-looking icons. And it turned out to be like the image below.



I also chose a wallpaper which both looks good and means something of value.



I spend about a half of my day using my laptop and it is quite useful to have a background that would remind me that the everyday decisions I make would affect my status in the after life.
RocketDock also lets the icons "bubble" when you let the mouse hover over them just like in a Mac.



I noticed that I've been sharing a lot of stuff recently. Maybe it's because of all the free time I have from my summer vacation.

GOSH! I LOVE CUSTOMIZING!

This has been another PC user's attempt to get as close as he could to a Mac.

No comments: