About Me

My photo
Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines
A fourth year student in De La Salle University - Manila taking BS in Information and Communications Technology Management. Believes in the improvements ICT could bring in the everyday lives of people at work and home. A member of the La Salle Dance Company - Street, the hip-hop dance group of DLSU under the Cultural Arts Office.

E-mail: efren.paperstainer@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

[SOCCOMP Blog Week #1] Tools for the Generation Y

Most students enrolled in the Social Computing course, who were required to "web log" about the discussions during the 1st week of class, have been blogging about "Generation Y". So I have decided to blog about something else which had greater effect on my personal behavior in social computing which has been discussed in class.

Aside from the hogging topic of "Generation Y", Ms. Kiran also discussed and gave examples of different social computing tools. After listening to her discussion, I am currently using some of the tools she had mentioned. Some of the tools she mentioned which I remembered (and were also in the slides she uploaded) were:
Because of the discussion, I decided to visit some of the web sites and try them for myself. Thinking that it was required for creating blogs in SOCCOMP (which could already be done within the "soccomp08t2" Ning network), I created my own account in blogger and got my own blogspot. I titled my blogspot as "Rehearsal Hall", after the official dance studio of La Salle Dance Company - Street where I spend most of my time in school. I don't have any other main reason to name it that way--except that it just sounded cool. Haha! Blogspot was really easy to use just like Ms. Kiran said. The gadgets were very useful. The importance of customization is a major attribute of Generation Y and so I lived up to our generation's reputation. I designed it as personal and aesthetic as I could (or have time for). As mentioned above, you could visit it at paperstainer.blogspot.com. And please leave comments! Thank you!

The other tool I have tried is under the area of Social Bookmarking which is "Delicious". I downloaded and installed the add-on to my Mozilla Firefox browser and now it's working great. I could keep track of the important sites I have visited or which I find would be useful in the future. Try it for yourself! Visit www.delicious.com. I also asked for Ms. Kiran's account in delicious and she gave it to me without hesitation. I find being able to share my bookmarks and being able to view others bookmarks collaborative and resourceful.

And so, try them! They will prove useful to you and may help you in your search for your identity (as defined being an attribute of the Generation Y).

No comments: